Dr. Mark Zupo
The Success Matters Podcast – Episode #2
Dr. Mark Zupo of the Power of Mastery
How to Use the Power of Mastery to Build Multiple Streams of Income and Control Your Freedom and Independence
Darren Hardy wrote a book called the Compounding Effect that illustrated how a penny could double every day for 30-days and sum up to a fortune.
2c becomes 4c becomes 8c becomes 16c and so on and so on. At the end of 21 days you only have $5,000. OMG! Did you waste a penny? Well, not really because at the end of the next ten days it becomes an unbelievable $10,737,000!
In my book THE MATH OF SUCCESS” I detail how multipliers of a few dollars, a few people a few advertisements and a few offers can QUICKLY compound and add up to an unbelievable sum.
This is where my high school and college training comes in. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY and study some more. Train and train more. Get as good at your passion as anyone could get. Be the authority. COMPOUND your credibility to turn your skill into MASTERY.
Today, to keep your attention for more than 15-seconds would be asking for too much, right? I get it. ADHD as an adult, me too. I’ve been told that spending somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 hours of study is where your credibility rises from novice to authority. I accomplished more than 6,000 hours of study to get a doctorate in education. 6,000 HOURS over 6-years! It cost me over $128,000 as well.
Did you know that, according to the Dept. of Education, that less than 2% of our population had a Ph.D.? Isn’t it a surprise that anyone masters their passions or life’s work? So why are we surprised when we find ourselves in an environment that treats us like worker bees instead of leaders?
It’s an Academic and Generational Plague
It’s an academic and generational plague that infects us all. The key to a cure is learning how to be consistent in our desire to be masterful. When I got a Master’s degree in Technical Management I was expected to be authoritative because I proved my mastery of technical management. The difference between a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree was huge.
In preparing a document for my doctorate, I stated that, “I think…” My entire paper was failed because I was told that, “no one gives a sh_ _ what you think until you have PhD after your name!” It was tough. It was the distance between a crack in the pavement and the Grand Canyon.
The difference was focus. The difference was attention to detail. The difference was mastery!
I’m sure you’ve been excited about something that made you scream with anticipation…A new project, a new big-boy toy or business venture. Entrepreneurs are good at that. It’s every shiny new object or opportunity. There you go, guns blazing, rockets launching and a get-out-of-my-way I’m on to something attitude, right?
Then it happens. We lose interest just as faster than a duck on a June bug. It’s Okay. It happens to all of us.
When we’re young we focused on a task or accomplishment for a few seconds…Maybe a minute or two until we got what we wanted. It worked.
Guess what? It doesn’t work now that we are adults. There are things that get in the way. Family obligations, money constraints, work requirements and more, right?
But, as we grow so does our mindfulness of who we are and the world around us. We become distracted by it all…Every simple point of fascination and even every opportunity to fill our minds or empty our minds.
We use our smart phone to maintain contact but to also divert our attention from what we need to control, understand and be aware of that might not be as pleasant as we would like things to be.
We want instant gratification. We want immediate reward, level distribution of wealth and knowledge. When did 300 channels on TV become not enough? When did social media not give you the satisfaction of knowing where everyone you know is?
We are distracted and life becomes out of focus. We’ve rendered ourselves incapable of focus, attention and mindful participation of anything anymore. Especially our own life!
I was once told a PhD stood for “piled higher and deeper.” I’m here to say…it does! BUT…
There are those people that overcome the drudgery of study and practice to become “masterful” at their intended profession or field of study. They become “experts” despite the distractions. They challenged the distractions and overcame the distractions to become the experts we seek out for their expertise, experience and knowledge.
Mastery demand focus, attention to detail, effort to develop the skills to avoid distractions and resilience to ignite the compounding effect of Mastery.
Your Ticket to Mastery
When people, old enough to remember, who went to Disney World, you had to buy tickets for each ride and event. Each ticket either was a “once used” type or a “punch” type that had multiple opportunities on it.
So, let’s say that you bought your “A” ticket that allowed you to ride many if not all the rides for a day. The “A” ticket could be renewed to see the place for a second day also. However, there was only so much time and there were so many rides and events. I have two questions for you:
- How would you do it all in a day?
- What if your life depended on it?
Wow, serious, Huh?
Abraham Lincoln once said, “If I had a week to chop down a tree, I’d spend four days sharpening my axe.” Pretty smart, I think.
To live by the rules for rides as we’ll call them, we had better sit down and think about it before we got there, right? Remember, your life depends on it now! It would take planning, logistics, funding, time and hopefully result in reward.
But, what if it rains? Lions and tigers and bears, OH MY!
Well, it seems to be the same in life and especially business. It’s obvious, right?
The Rules of Mastery
Let’s play a game. You only have one day. That’s 8-hours.
You only have so much energy, money and time. You are required to fulfill all the opportunities of your ticket. This will require all the vacation mastery you can muster. You need experience, right? You need guidance, right? You need leadership, right? So, what do you do? You enlist the theme-park experts. Other people who have been there, right? You need maps, Guidebooks and a mentor. Guess what? That adds up to Mastery!
You need MASTERY!
- Education: The best example formula for educating yourself is to follow this rule: Plan, Build, Act, Measure and Repeat. The more you do the more you improve. In aviation, you improve with study and then practice. In medicine, you study and then practice. In love you…well, we all screw this one, up don’t we? Okay, let’s not go there.
- Investment: A master is confident and stalwart. Meaning a master sticks to it until they master it. It means study, reading, practice, and thought before you get there. It also means weighing the options, expense and rewards. It also means the possibly of failure. It requires recordkeeping to reflect on your losses and wins. It requires, MASTERY! When you win, do it AGAIN!
- Relationships: Building relationships is almost the single most important action you will ever take. Building your tribe will ensure a healthy relationship between you and those interested in what you must offer. Mastering connections with people with whom you may never meet is tough and requires skill and genuine attention. Don’t screw it up by acting above anyone. Instead, seek to serve everyone.
- Trust: Another number on in importance is trust. The adage that remains steadfast to build trust is to deliver more than you intended to and instill security and loyalty to your followers. The people with whom you engage must be secure in their belief that you are there to help. They must; know, like and trust you.
- Reciprocity: Getting is one thing and giving is another. I was once told that the hole that you give through is the same hole that you get through. Makes sense, right? The object of my relationship building has always been to serve more than I ask to be served. In social psychology, reciprocity is a social rule that says people ought to repay, in kind, what another person has provided for them; that is, people give back (reciprocate) the kind of treatment they have received from another. Reciprocity is also a behavior in which two people or groups of people give each other help and advantages based on mutual respect for the other. This is huge in the know, like and trust factors of friendship.
- Resolve: There are four traits of experts and as many traits of explorers that determine their successes. In the expert arena, they are absolutely focused on only one thing at a time. They welcome interest in their work and seek out others with whom to share it. They start at the beginning and work it until they have mastered it. No matter what! Experts are as concerned about the why of a challenge as much as what will the results be.
To sum it all up, you need mastery! One cannot achieve mastery until you have focused on the task. It is detrimental to ever achieving anything unless you apply what you’ve learned. Don’t do the same tests until you have gotten the right results. Busy does not equate to productivity it only applies to busy! Remember the adage that Abraham Lincoln made famous? “If I had a week to cut down a tree, I would spend 4-days sharpening my axe.”
SUMMING IT ALL UP
Life is a lot like playing the lottery. You buy a ticket and you win. But it is never that easy is it. Business can be perceived to be that way also. Stores carry a product for sale and you buy it, right. Well, not right. There are options. There are shiny new things that get in the way like other similar products. Sales people present their wares to you and you have options and that’s it, right? Not right. They will present three options and then ask you to choose from them…with a little sale mojo. Before you know it, you’ve bought the highest priced item and spread the payments over 6 years!
Ever wonder why car dealers want you to test drive a car? To sit in it for a while? But wait, there are no guarantees are there. Ever try to take a car back? I’ll stop laughing now. The last point to make is about trust, reciprocity, knowing you, liking you and remaining loyal to you.
When Success Matters
If you want to earn money in your own digital online business, it is imperative that you learn the basics first. There are no shortcuts. There is no get-rich-quick lottery to depend on. Don’t quit your job just yet.
The pyramids are built on a HUGE foundation, for a reason. That’s what we teach. The foundation and then the practice. No shortcuts. Your business is doomed to fail without the proper tools, resources and mentoring necessary to achieve your personal or business success.
I’ve been a pilot for more than 45 years. I am a Master Multi-engine jet flight instructor and have been for more than 25 years. I have been a commercial pilot and a corporate pilot. I have a Bachelor’s degree, a Master’s degree and a doctorate in education. In aviation, you start out with training to get a private pilot’s certificate. Then an instrument ticket, then a commercial certificate and finally an ATP, (airline transport certificate). It took years of training, testing, learning, practicing and evaluating. The same with becoming a doctor. In fact, it took about 6,000 hours of study to be specific. Exam after exam. Book after book. Paper after paper…and a lot of money too.
So where do you start? Here that’s where. That’s why I am here. For you.
- Task number one. A few decisions.
- Start a network of like-minded people. Follow those who you admire for their expertise.
- Start developing your skills and knowledge base about your nice or topic, passion or intended money-making venture.
- Schedule specific time to do it. To study, to learn, to test and assess.
- The Internet doesn’t require an 8-hour day or 7-days a week. In fact, just the opposite. It can be done in your spare time. You can build a thriving business from anywhere at any time. There is business, success, Internet, entrepreneurs doing it all day long on any day and you can ask for help from most all of them.
- Develop a reputation for loyalty. You can buy your competitors products and test them. Join other blogs or start your own. Join other social media sites and become active. Your competency is built by helping others.
- Build strong relationships among those in your peer groups and with other experts. Change, exchange and provide others with your help. Soon you’ll be able to rely on them when you need help.
- Brand yourself as an expert and deliver great and useful information when other people need it. Your network will be there when you decide to expand and they will all help you without question. After all, they are now your peers and comrades.
The Difference Between Dynamite and Dynamic
Dynamite is explosive. Uncontrollable and abrupt. It causes damage. It is always used with great caution by the experts only. Period. No one else can participate. Everyone must stand clear. The results are always undefined until the dust clears. Some people are like this. Like dynamite. They charge in and overwhelm others. They do damage and leave just as abruptly for someone else to clean up the mess. They can only succeed in one thing, being explosive. They have explosive personalities.
Dynamic thinkers are confident and independent persons. They radiate enthusiasm and energy. Dynamic Thinkers pursue their objectives actively and energetically and with enthusiasm. Dynamic Thinkers love nothing better than taking on new challenges. Dynamic Thinkers are the born leader, competent, energetic and responsible. These types of people have certain traits that they were born with or were taught.
- Dynamic thinkers have the right attitude.
- Dynamic thinker’s attitudes define their life purpose
- Dynamic thinkers use the social and physical prowess to mold their life
- Dynamic thinkers focus on their purpose, goals, achievements and success
- Dynamic thinkers have a powerful need to succeed to make their life a worthwhile cause for themselves and others. Money isn’t the object.
- Dynamic thinkers
- Dynamic thinkers never quit! Ever. They are inspired by anything and everything. They never admit defeat or loss. They accept every challenge.
- Dynamic thinkers are always optimistic and forward-thinking. They know the POWER of a single negative thought and the damage it can do and the POWER of a single positive thought and the massive success it can bring.
- Dynamic thinkers are objective in their view of everything. They never allow emotions to dictate their success.
- Dynamic thinkers think first then act. A great quality my students have. We think, then do. If we fail, we think and do something different! We do something even if it is wrong. Remember this, accidently melting a candy bar in a laboratory resulted in the microwave oven.
- Dynamic thinkers use foresight and forward-thinking vision to guide their successes. When they fail, they only look back to their errors and then reengineer it to the future.
- Dynamic thinkers build relationships. They understand that their success is determined by their peers, customers and clients. Without them, they only exist for themselves and personal satisfaction.
- Dynamic thinkers communicate. They impart their work and intentions for the record. Nothing is hidden. Someone has probably done it before and now they will do it better.
- Dynamic thinkers are resourceful and imaginative. To solve a problem, they rely on their talents, resources and skills to find the solution.
- Dynamic thinkers employ their technical abilities and solve problems before they occur. They rely on their mentors. They are never rushed for the solution. Dynamic thinkers are aware of their surrounding and personal efforts that provide for the masses.
- Dynamic thinkers respect money, time, skill, effort and resources. They sparingly attempt and use the effort of others with respect. They appreciate and reward the use of value and hard work, diligence and the price of loss as well as success.
These traits will help you to become a pillar of success. Use them at will. Build your income online while you build your relationships online and in person. Share them.
And above all, let me help you do it.
To Your Success…
I’m Dr. Mark Zupo